AVSI has started working in Tunisia in 2000 with a training project for teaching staff in primary and secondary schools, addressed in particular to the nine schools managed by the Archdiocese of Tunis throughout the country.
In 2019 AVSI obtained official recognition from the Tunisian government and opened an office in the capital, Tunis. Today AVSI works in Grand Tunis, particularly in the poorest neighborhoods of the capital, and in the governorates of Nabeul and Gabes.
AVSI in Tunisia:
Progetto “OASI-SCUOLA: QUANDO LA BELLEZZA EDUCA E PROTEGGE" ( SCHOOL OASIS: WHEN BEAUTY EDUCATES AND PROTECTS)
in partnership with the Department for Teaching of the Archdiocese of Tunis and funded by CEI. The project aims to contribute to the social inclusion of Tunisian youth through formal education and play / recreational activities. On one hand, the aim is to improve the quality of formal educational services and psychosocial support, through the training of teachers and the creation of a psycho-social support team within schools. On the other hand, it is working to facilitate the access of young Tunisians to the community recreation centers in the vulnerable districts of Sidi el Bechir and Manouba, neighborhoods where young people are generally out of school, often in situations of illegality, and predisposed to illegal migration.
"Progetto di sostegno alle donne capofamiglia dei quartieri precari di Tunisi" (A support project for breadwinners women in the precarious neighborhoods of Tunis),
in partnership with CARITAS and the VOIX DES ENFANTS association, funded by the Africa Fund. The project aims to increase access to economic sustenance opportunities for single Tunisian mothers, marginalized and stigmatized by society, who live in precarious situations, through the financing of micro-entrepreneurship projects that improve their social and economic conditions.
AREA OF WORK
- EDUCATION: strengthening the teachers' skills and the psycho-social support of pupils;
- ENVIRONMENT AND ENERGY: in particular managing the natural resources, renewable energy, sustainable fishing and agriculture;
- PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND JOB CREATION: working in support of formal and informal SMEs in the craft, tourism and agro-food sectors. The main target are women, unemployed young people and migrants;
- SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES: promoting bilateral cooperation between Italian and Tunisian cities;
- MIGRATION AND HUMAN RIGHTS: through the socio-economic reintegration of returning migrants (Assisted Voluntary Repatriation in collaboration with CIR), the training of sub-Saharan migrants in transit and the prevention of illegal migration.
Immeuble Cristal Palace, bloc A, 1er étage,
bureau numéro 3, Rue de Lac Annency,
1053 Les Berges du Lac, Tunis