AVSI, a non-profit organization founded in 1972, implements development and humanitarian aid projects in 33 countries, including Italy.
Our vision: to work for a world where the person is the protagonist of her own integral development and that of her community, even in crisis and emergency contexts.
In 2019, AVSI helped more than 5 million people in need, including 23,872 children through our distance support program.
AVSI implements cooperation projects in various sectors with a preferential focus on education, meaning that the person is accompanied towards self-discovery and recognition that the other person is a resource. Each project is conceived as an instrument to promote this awareness in everyone involved, has in itself a need for communicating and sharing, and creates an impact capable of generating a positive change.
In project implementation, AVSI uses the following approach:
- to start from the value of the person, who is never defined by the circumstances in which s/he lives
- to consider the person always in his/her family and community context
- to do with: accompany and let ourselves be accompanied, recognizing that we all share the same human experience
- to involve all stakeholders: encourage the participation of beneficiaries, providers, partners, donors, and the private sector
- to learn from experience and capitalize on the lessons learned.
AVSI by numbers
In 2019, AVSI received contributions totaling € 80,475,535.82 both from institutional and private donors. Among its major institutional donors there are the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the European Union, USAID, FAO, UNICEF, and the World Bank.
Countries and projects
AVSI Foundation operates worldwide through a network of 34 organizations, its founding members, and over 1000 partners.
AVSI has been recognized since 1973 by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a non-governmental organization for international cooperation (NGO), registered as Civil Society Organization.
- AVSI is a NGO in consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Accredited with
- the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Recognized on the NGO Special List of the International Labor Organization (ILO)
- Accredited participant of the UN Global Compact
- Associated member of the Cities Alliance board
- Associated member of
- the Global Alliance for Clean Cooking (GACC)
- The Alliance for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action
- the CNCS – Italian national council for development cooperation
- Accredited participant of
- the Global Nutrition Cluster
- the Concord – the European confederation of Relief and Development NGOs
- Joined and signed the Code of Conduct of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGO’s in Disaster Relief
- Authorized by the Italian Commission for International Adoptions
- Is enrolled to the register of the associations and agencies with activity in favor of the immigrants of the Italian Ministry of Labour and Social Policies
- Associated general member of the CDO Opere Sociali
Quality and transparency
AVSI project design system conforms to UNI EN ISO 9001:2015 standards for cooperation, aid and development activities in partnership with and on behalf of main institutional, national and international donors.